January 16, 2006


"Kuhn Petey" Staying With Mr. Mark as his Pet

Last Thursday, the day before I was to leave Bangkok for Japan, was a day of good luck all day long. Mark got the good news posted below, he got waited on right away twice in the grocery store when other people were in long lines which strangely enough caused him to be very happy and excited, and a parakeet appeared on my window sill after dark. I was in my room/office doing some computer work and decided to rest my eyes by looking out the window at the traffic. Usually I look straight out never pulling the curtain out away from the window, but this time I pulled the left curtain away from the window for some strange reason and I was looking at a blue parakeet admiring his reflection in the window. It was a little tricky, but he was brought in and spent the night on the inside window sill waiting for his cage to be purchased. Mark named him Petey after a bird his grandmother had for years. Mark is now caring for Mr. Petey (Kuhn Petey). Note: Men and women alike are addressed as "Kuhn" rather than having a Mr., Miss, and Mrs. as in English. The men say a slightly different greeting than the women, saying Sawadee Cup whereas the women say Sawadee Kah.Possibly birds have a different form of address but we are sticking with Kuhn Petey. Mr. Mark gives Mr. Petey his bath and covers his cage for his nap and at bedtime. It is good for someone who is very ill and getting so much care everyday to have something to care for. Mark wanted a little dog (Chihuahua), but Mr. Petey, a small miracle bird, dropped in to be Mr. Mark's houseguest/pet and is now under his care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms Richardson, and Mr. Mark Richardson.. My name is Jessica Traufler and I am a former student of Stephanie Richardson. I was informed of Mr. Mark's illness last year when Ms Rich told our class. I sent you a letter, a poem and a few pictures from Japan; I hoped that it would bring about happiness, even though it seems there is already an immense amount of that. I am inspired by your positive outlook on life Mr. Mark. I just can’t describe the emotions running through me as I read your story. No words could do justice in explaining the inspiration you have bestowed on me, as well as other students who are aware of who you are and what you are going through. Here is another poem written by Emily Dickinson entitled, “Hope is the thing with feathers”:
"Hope" is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land
And on the strangest sea,
Yet never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
My email address is xdirrty_dancingx@hotmail.com if you wanted to write me a note, or anything. Thank you for the inspiration.