June 13, 2006

Mr. Mark sent an e-mail today saying: "lab values suggest my kidneys are not working as well as they should which Dr. T attributes to the platinum. If it persists we will be forced to use something else. Meanwhile he gave me a banana bag with manatol and will repeat the lab tests next week and try again. I loved your dedication in your book. It was very touching and makes me feel very special. Every since I have been reading I wondered who were the people that were mentioned in the first page and I thought they must be very proud to be on that page, and so am I. Thanks for the financial update. Still on the austerity program, the only new purcase was my tennis shoes and a pair of pants. I needed them both and don't feel too bad for spending the money. Glad you are back in Austin, be sure to catch up on your rest. Later, Mark "
What is a banana bag you ask? It is probably slang for an IV with potassium
Miss Betty the Mom has written the dedication to Mark in the preface of two psychiatric case history books showing up in bookstores this fall. The dedication reads: "This book is dedicated to my son Mark who has battled cancer throughout most of the time this book was in progress. Sharing with me some of his innermost thoughts, fears, and struggles has reinforced for me that what student nurses, family, and others see on the surface in a brief interaction with a client can be a very different picture than what is going on inside the client. Compassion, empathy, and therapeutic communication do help us understand that inner person. I am indebted to Mark for all he has taught me.
Additionally, this book is dedicated to all the good nurses in various fields of nursing, not just psychiatric mental health nursing, who apply psychiatric techniques and principles when working with clients who have mental health diagnoses and/or issues."
Mark is still on an austerity program Mark mentions he is on an auterity program (chemo and rent take most of what we can scrape together each month) and he has limited his purchases this month to tennis shoes to wear in increasing his excercise and a new pair of pants because he has gained weight.It is not anticipated that these books will provide much money to Mark's mom and therefore to Mark. Textbook writers do not often get much money from their books. We need to get going on the great novel.

No comments: