September 30, 2006


Mark in Good Spirits in Radiation
(Stephanie:) I arrived in Bangkok on the opening day of the new airport, Thursday. I went to see Mark in the hospital and found him awake and feeling good Friday at 7 am, despite having felt terrible the day before... he seems to thrive on the chemotherapy. Mark's doctors have changed his regimen a little lately - he will be doing chemo more often but for fewer days each time. He's also doing radiation, and as you can see from the photo above, we went to radiation today. I was able to watch as they set up Mark's radiation, and I learned that each patient has their own custom alloy "plate" that fits into the machine just above their radiation site. The radiation goes through a hole in the plate, and this guides how far/wide the radiation will go into the patient. You can see Mark's in the photo - it's a silver "circle" about 4 inches in diameter. I saw some of the other plates, too - all cut out in different shapes and thicknesses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, are you able to bring Petey back to Texas with you? If not, I have a deal for you. It won't be quite the same, as I do so very believe that Petey was a cosmic gift, but I am now prepared to give you my 1 1/2 year old male Italian Greyhound for company and entertainment. He's very precious and loyalty is the IG's middle name. Intelligence isn't, however among their better qualities. If you are good at housetraining, you will be a shoe-in. I've quite had it with him. All my previous dogs have come to me pre-trained. Not so with this one. I liked to never got my kid trained, so I'm no better with a dog!

I'm no expert, but it looks to me from the photos as if Mark is doing very well. He hasn't lost a bit of that handsomeness. But maybe because I'm partial to prematurely gray people. I can't claim mine is premature anymore. Glad to hear you globetrotters are coming home for a while, but I know that it just won't be the same for you Mark, will it? Home is home, but it has to be so bland compared to colorful Thailand. I don't imagine there are too many places around Austin that serve a mean Pa Nang or good MeeKrob. Oh, I'm getting hungry. Unfortunately, I have to limit my panang as it is so very bad for my little ol' clogged heart.

Helen and I are busy working our hearts out for the Democratic party trying to turn this county back to the blue it used to be. Tom DeLay left us unrepresented now since June 9 and it is a mess. Dad goes through periods where he falls frequently and then he's fine and then he falls. Michael is still Michael. Sigh. I'm still trying to finish building the tortoise retreat so I can take on the rest of the house and then some sewing.

Mark, keep fighting, my man. You've got some good women backing you up. And keep enjoying every second that the resting doesn't take up. But enjoy the rest too as it recharges those batteries so you can give those enemy cells HELL!