October 03, 2006


Up and Down the Cancer Roller Coaster Some More...

(From Stephanie:)Today Mark had radiation again; he's feeling a lot of pain and says he's hot but also is covered by a blanket and trying to rest. He is getting 2-4 hours a day of activity and the rest of the time he sticks close to home and sleeps or wanders the apartment. He looks so good that people (myself included) forget how hard it is for him to get through the days.

As the photo shows, we packed up most of Mark's belongings and I took them to the Enbassy to mail home. He had to get rid of about everything to move here in the first place, so I was more than happy to be able to help him keep some things that mean something to him. The folks there at the post office were very nice and helpful; it wasn't entirely easy to lug 7 boxes around, but we got it done! I am hoping that this will help Mom and Mark have an easy move back to Texas in a month. Ideally, Mark would be able to mail more and could just step onto the plane with a carry on and not worry about anything else, but the Thai mail is crazy expensive... I think the hardest part of this is just that he loves Bangkok and hates to leave - he knows he has to, but he's not sure he will be back. It's been a great place for him to receive such good care. Anyway, we're all feeling good that we got the boxes mailed, but also melancholy at the thought of a move where there are so many unknowns; another adventure, perhaps?

A funny story from today: We'd stopped at the hospital and while Mark was in radiation, I stopped by to chat with Dr. Theera and thank him for the great care. I made sure he had this blog address. Then, a little while later, Mark met up with me and said he'd stoped to say hi to Dr T and ask him how he (Mark) was doing, and Dr T answered "I don't know, I haven't had a chance to check your blog for the latest"! Funny, but now Mark has a great idea to have patients blog their symptoms and progress and have docs check it before visits so patients don't have to repeat things to docs so often. Hmmm....

Click that little green "comments" link below here to leave us a note- I would LOVE to see who is checking the blog out! Stephanie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello to all and a special one to Mark. Give a hug to him if he is near. I think about Mark often, and I thank you for having this sight for his friends to check on. I am in PA now, not Saipan. I will try to contact around the holidays. If you can, please give Mark my number when he gets home. 724-774-1763. Love and prayers, Tracy Nance

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Chloe. I'm in Ms. Richardson's class. Get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello to everyone...What a wild couple of weeks you guys have had. Betty and Stephanie, my hat is off to both of you for the love and emotional support you both have given Mark over the past 21 months, something you can't put a price tag on! I am so glad the blog is available. It has proven to be a very impressive and priceless "tool" for communication, feedback, and most important updates on Mark's continued fight against this BASTARD syndrome that relentlessly tries to knock Mark down. But you know, and I know Mark has ALWAYS been a fighter...strong minded and physically blessed, he will not reitire without a hell of a fight, and a fight I am optomistic he shall concore! I love you, bro!
Bruce

Anonymous said...

Mark, Stephanie and Aunt Betty,
What an amazing web page. I was just speaking with my mom, Janet DeLong (Richardson) this morning and she told me about the site. I know I haven't seen any of you since I was probably 5 or 6 years old and now I have my own children that age. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and keep up the fight. Love, your cousin Jen