February 14, 2005

Stephanie has talked to Mark and she writes in an e-mail:
OK, talked to Mark for a while... he answered and sounded tired- I guess he was asleep, but it was a real good talk. He's gotten news from somewhere that they won't pay for much care because it's "not curative", meaning it's just to keep him comfortable but not to save his life. He agreed that he should do some of it anyway - said he'd be in Hawaii in a day or two, to discuss with doc, then back to Saipan then on to Thailand for treatment b/c he likes the hospitals and people there.

A Thai doc from his hospital said he'd send his family to pick Mark up and care for him and then I guess he also knows someone who does some alternative treatment. I asked about clinical trials and he said he doesn't qualify but to feel free to send out his contact info and he'll talk to anyone. Said he will sell or give away most of his stuff but that he hates it b/c he's gotten it down to stuff he really really likes. I told him that photos are really important to you and me and he understood that and he said that was the plan... he seems to be hanging onto having a plan and that's understandable.

I told him I wanted to see him and to contact me as soon as he lights somewhere that he has a doctor so I can do that. We joked about going to Tahiti for alternative treatment... that was nice. Then (note: morbid thoughts ahead... proceed with caution) he asked would we take his ashes and what would we do with them and so I said "that's up to you- mom and i will do what you want us to do, but come up with something fun, creative" and he says "Okay, I want you to skydive and..." and I said "be careful with this, cuz you know Mom will do it if you ask" and we laughed again.

No comments: